• contact@zenithimmigration.ca

Life in Canada

  1. You are here:  
  2. Home
  3. Life in Canada

Entering Canada


With the exception of Federal Skilled Worker with LMO Approval who will have employment opportunities upon arrival in Canada, others will have the opportunity to find employment through various government-funded employment programs such as job search workshops, training, co-op work placement programs and mentoring. Furthermore, various courses and apprenticeship programs with paid work as part of these programs are also available.

For some occupation categories obtaining a license to practice is mandatory. For example, medical doctors and nurses must be licensed while electricians and plumbers can work as apprentices with a good pay at the beginning. Nurses can obtain a license in Canada in about four months (if the registration process is started before leaving for Canada). However, becoming a licensed physician, dentist or pharmacist could take at least three years. Many of our clients in these categories find alternative ways to earn income until they get fully qualified in the profession. This could often mean working in low-level jobs until you obtain your license. Professions such as hotel managers and chefs do not have to obtain such licenses as their jobs are not regulated.

Canadian Government Services

The Benefits Finder

The Canada Benefits Web site provides an overview of all government benefit programs and services for individuals. You can find information about government student loans, the public pension plan, employment insurance, housing assistance, and payments or financial assistance to parents, immigrants.

Government grants and financing

Government departments and agencies provide financing such as grants, contributions, subsidies, and loan guarantees. Find out what type of government financing may be available for your business. Use the program search tool or browse by type of financing.

Newcomers to Canada (immigrants)

If you left another country to settle in Canada, the following information will introduce you to the Canadian tax system and help you to complete your first income tax and benefit return as a resident of Canada.

It applies only for the first tax year that you are a new resident of Canada for income tax purposes. After your first tax year in Canada, you are no longer considered a newcomer for income tax purposes

Canada’s universal health-care system

If you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, you may apply for public health insurance. With it, you don’t have to pay for most health-care services.

The universal health-care system is paid for through taxes. When you use public health-care services, you must show your health insurance card to the hospital or medical clinic.


Student loans
Information on how government student loans can help you pay for post-secondary education at a designated college, university, or other post-secondary institution.

Before You Arrive in Canada

This video will help you get ready for your new life in Canada. It will explain some of the things you should do before you leave your country of origin to make sure you are prepared when you arrive in Canada.

Your First Two Weeks in Canada

This video will help you get ready for your new life in Canada. It will explain some of the things you should do during your first two weeks in Canada to help make the transition easier.

Permanent Resident Card

Learn about the permanent resident card (PR card), the official proof of immigration status for all permanent residents of Canada. Permanent residents should apply for a new card six months before their card will expire.